What’s Happening in the Ches-Mont League?
The Ches-Mont league is compiled of 14 high schools located mostly in Chester County,
Pennsylvania. The schools all compete in varsity high school sports in the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association, or the PIAA. Ches-Mont League teams compete in District One, at the AAAA, AAAAA and AAAAAA levels. The teams are broken down into two divisions- American and National – and consisting of seven schools each. Thirteen of the schools are from Chester County, with one from Delaware County.
As we near the midpoint of the season, let’s breakdown each team and how they’ve played so far.
(1) Coatesville Area High school (9-3) boys’ basketball team is currently sitting at the number one spot in the division. In their last game vs. (2) Downingtown East (10-1) Coatesville handed Downingtown their first loss of the season after four turnovers and seven Red Raider points later, that was all she wrote at least until the two teams meet again on February 2nd. “Those last two minutes we played Coatesville basketball,” said Red Raider’s head coach Chuck Moore. “We take a lot of pride in making teams play ugly basketball and make them very uncomfortable on offense and tonight we did just that.”
(3) Bishop Shanahan (7-5) in their last game vs. (4) Downingtown West (7-6). Thomas Ford was the all-time scorer with 13 points and Dan DiBeneditto had all 8 of his points in the fourth quarter as the Eagles pulled away with the Ches-Mont National decision. Don’t count out the Whippets of Downingtown West just yet though, they got within four points in the second half of play but they faded down the stretch. George Gordon dropped 11 points while Wayne Anderson and Matt Carson had strong backcourt performances.
(5) Avon Grove High School (8-3) most of their games so far this season have been out of their league, literally. They sit in fifth place in their division of the Ches-Mont. Their win loss margin is only within 20-24 points. In their last game vs. (6) West Chester East (3-7), Brandon McCullough netted 17 points to pace the Red Devils to the Ches-Mont National win. Avon Grove, which got a combined 17 points from Kevin Will and Aldred Russo, took charge with an 18-4 surge in the second quarter to go up 30-15 at the intermission. They won 55-37.
(7) West Chester Henderson High school played a cross league match up vs. Bayard Rustin; who are in the American Division and hold first place, which ended in a 39-37 loss. The Golden Knights recorded the win with a nonleague decision behind Jake Nelson’s 15 points.
(2) Great Valley High school currently sitting in second place with a conference record 4-1 and an overall record of 7-4 rolled over (5) Unionville; who are 4-7 overall and 1-3 in the Ches-Mont conference, at their last meeting on January 10th. The Great Valley Patriots had a very strong second half led by the combined 27 points of Liam Ward, Robert Geiss and Nate Graeff. At the half, they lead 20-18, Great Valley shut out the Indians in the third quarter before sealing the deal with a 19-7 run in the fourth quarter. Final score 45-25
(3) Oxford Area High School have been playing surprisingly strong basketball this season, and are 4-4 on the year. In their last game vs. (4) Octorara, 4-5 overall, was a 72-59 win. With Troy Brown posting a double-double with 19 points and 11 rebounds. Also for Oxford, Donte Crews dropped 22 points and Brian Dorsey added 21.
(6) Kennett High School is struggling this season with an overall record of 1-8, but played well in their last game against Sun Valley. (7) Sun Valley High School gave Kennett a run for their money in their OT match up on January 10th. With a final score of 65-54, Ben Lesher scored 6 of his game-high 17 points in overtime to pace the Blue Demons to their first Ches-Mont American win of the season. The double digit scoring by Vinny DeAngelo (16) and Ishy Ahmad (13) for the Vanguards was no match up to Mitch Kosara, who racked up 16 points while Owen Dougherty had 15 with five three pointers for Kennett.